Friday, August 14, 2009

Back from Matsuyama

So I just got back from my prefectural (Ehime) orientation...met some cool people, took a Japanese class placement test and re-learned everything we learned from pre-departure orientation and Tokyo orientation. Well, this orientation provided me with more specific information and those who were involved in it worked their asses off. All and all it was a worthwhile trip to the "Big City". I'll be back again this coming up monday for a two week Japanese intensive course...sounds a bit...what's the word...intense. When I'm out of the classroom I should be able to explore the city's castle, onsen and many other attractions that undoubtedly relate to oranges in some form or another (fact: one of their baseball team's name is the "mardarin orange pirates"). Maybe buy myself a new basketball and other luxurious items that cannot be obtained in the rural countryside. And yes, I plan on indulging in overpriced Western cusine because you can't put a price on the comfort that comes with familiarity.

Aside from the bright lights and glamor of Matsuyama, life has been alright. Been fist fighting a cold and my liver seems to be betraying me as I have failed to recover from a night of drinking in Tokyo about two weeks ago. Been playing with the idea of giving up alcohol altogether but in this culture it would be hard. I am steadily getting better but it's alarming that it's taking so long. Shikataganai.

On a brighter note, I am currently trying to plan a 4 to 5 day excusion to Osaka in mid September and a journey to Cambodia and Vietnam during the Winter. While I have full intentions of saving money to pay off my loans, I will not squander my opportunity to explore this part of the world. In fact, ideally I would love to go to a couple of new countries every time there is a major break (New Zealand/Australia for spring break?). My friend Scott put it brilliantly, "You can spend your whole life working your ass off to make alot of money. Save that money, become rich and have tons of money at your disposal when you're old. But you'd have an old body, wasted your youth. I'd rather use that money to spend time with my friends and do things that are important to me in my young body." Yes this was NOT a direct quote but the paraphrase is close? In fact, my interpretation of what he said might be completely off but it still made an impact on me. I took it to heart. While I am given the opportunity I need to travel around the world and spend that time making new friends and experiences. Travel with my friends and share experiences. Of course I'll be frugal with my money, however, I'd certainly regret it if I was stingy. After all, my goal in life, at least the tangible goal I have for myself, is to travel to 100 countries. I'd rather not climb the pyramids, pose with the Easter Island statues or visit Stonehenge when I'm old. And hopefully all this travel will help me discover my goal in life...education, diplomacy, global understanding, whatever I can contribute. Through travel and meeting people, I believe I can make an impact and get one step closer to my goal.

Bah, excuse my rant, just thinking and writing. I guess that's the best type of thought, free flowing and honest. Perhaps it's not the best type of writing and reading, though. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm out of steam but I'll be sure to get photos posted and actual information about Japan posted soon. On a final note, I'm slowly immersing myself into Japanese culture. From the constant bowing to trying to be polite every moment in public, it's been good. I'm sure it'll drive me mad one day but I feel it'll make me into a better person. The Japanese are credited for alot of things: high tech gizmos, sushi and being real polite (a very short list). But they're definitely doing something right, why shouldn't people be polite to complete strangers or friends? Being at my school for a couple weeks now, I believe I've come to understand the secret. It comes from their stringent educational system that drills such behavior. Comradery, teamwork and pride in one's work is fostered in the schools;hence, I feel privileged to observe this phenomenon and play an integral role in its development. I feel my place in this is to contribute positive American values while taking in those Japanese habits that strike me as positive. Intercultural understanding and learning. I'm very curious as to how much I'll learn when school commences in September...I'll keep you posted with my findings.

1 comment:

  1. Travel the world while your young. Just try to do it while saving money and still having fun. haha. Very doable.

    ReplyDelete