Monday, September 14, 2009

Nothing special just a blog entry

After a whole week of intense work, I've been attempting to recoup. Unfortunately, it hasn't been the easiest task as every other day afterwards was just as intense. Japanese people work hard. With that said, I said f$#^ you to exhaustion and decided to get out and have some fun this weekend. Don't misread that and expect epic stories about getting drunk and fighting robots or whatever you invision nights out in Japan may constitute. I'm a resident of old Ikata-cho, my weekends are a little more subdued.

On Saturday I went head to head against my co-worker, Kyouhei, in one of five matches to determine who is The Best. The official events are as follows: bowling, sprints, soccer, baseball and basketball. Specifics of each event will be TBA. Unfortunately, I left Honai bowling alley with a L. I scored a whopping 124, 135 and 124 and managed to lose every game. Afterwards, we decided to check out the arcade in Yawatahama. My friend proceded to kick my ass in air hockey (okay, maybe not kick my ass, I managed to split the series), virtual car racing and some punching game that determines your strength. Apparently he can throw punches that are about 70kg stronger than mine. Dammit. Now I owe him lunch or dinner. Perhaps I can win a lunch or two in the upcoming events, wish me luck. Perhaps I should start training at the arcade? I capped the night with a movie at Jessamine's. We finally finished Lord of the Rings. Such a long movie, I don't understand how that woman knows every single detail about that movie. "According to the book, so and so of Rohan was the long lost brother of that monster's uncle". Next on our list: 300. We're all about the epic battle scenes and the carnage, what can I say.

Sunday was almost spent chillaxing in my apartment without a care in the world. Instead, I decided to check out the tail end of one of my elementary school's sports days. The kids at Mizuura are fantastic, it was worth the trip. And several of my students from Ikata junior high school were present at the event...once I waas spotted, they proceded to run over to me and ask a series of questions. Afterwards, I decided to go on an adventure to Ozu (about 40 minutes away?). While I failed to get an eletronic dictionary, I did get some new speakers and a dictionary at the bookstore. I also bought a book titled "Rebound" which probably has no relation with the Martin Lawrence movie but it still brought a smile to my face. Back home, during movie night, my friend Cory was vehemently arguing for the movie "Rebound". It was alright. At least with this book I have a tangible goal: get good enough at Japanese to read this damn book.

Bored? Sorry, I suppose this weekend was more exciting for me. I plan on going to Osaka this coming up weekend and I just bought tickets to Bangkok (leaving Jan 2nd) so perhaps my next blogs will be more captivating. Ohh, I want to go mountain climbing/hiking at the tallest mountain in Shikoku sometime next month with some JET people, I'm sure I'll have something amusing to write about. Pictures? Yeah, I've taken alot on my phone, perhaps I'll upload it sometime. They're kinda shitty quality, I'm debating if I should get a real camera. Probably have to if I go abroad.

One final thought, it's completely unrelated to everything I've talked about. On my first day of class, my kids asked me a shocking question, "Do you like to play sex?" Putting the inappropriate question aside, the whole "play sex" part got me chuckling. And after today's lesson at my elementary school, I finally understood why my students made that mistake. In my 6th grade class, my JTE and I were teaching the students "I like _____". There were a series of pictures of kids doing stuff: I like to play basketball, I like to cook, I like to play soccer. All was well until we stumbled upon swim and unicycle. "I like to play swim" and "I like to play unicycle" began to be uttered by my students. I guess my junior high kids were taught to put "play" in front of any action, be it a sport or sex. And another mystery was solved. btw, speaking of mysteries, if you didn't catch my tirade on facebook, the new Sherlock Holmes trailer sucks really bad. Downey Jr. is some terrible combination of James Bond, Captain Jack Sparrow and the Hardy Boys. On drugs. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment