Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Two Week Vacation Part I: Okayama

Well, here I am, finally typing up my journal entries from my long and memorable trip. Pictures can capture a moment and writing helps bring it to life. And so, to get the full experience, I suggest you gloss over the pictures on my facebook. Beside from some small additions and omissions, the text is word to word. I apologize if certain parts get a little dry as I was trying to recount all my events on one particular day. Anyway, here we are, dates 12/28-1/13. I was not particularly diligent about writing every night so days may be condensed into one entry.
Summary:
Part 1: 12/28-1/1 Okayama


12/28/09 Journey to Okayama
Today, my friend Kyouhei and I made our way to Okayama. We left our local Lawsons around 11am, about an hour later than we had planned. Originally Kyouhei's friend was supposed to take us to Matsuyama; however, the friend unexpectedly backed out. Something about him working over time. And so Kyouhei picked me up and we rushed to his house in Uwa so his father could take us to the bus station. He lives in a fairly large house- it is no big surprise that he frequently has company over for movie nights, billiards and beers late into the night. The drive to Matsuyama was quite pleasant as I had an awesome conversation with Mr. Kikuchi. Apparently, for his honeymoon, Mr. Kikuchi went to San Francisco and Los Angeles. He remembered his times on the cable cars, visits to Fisherman's Wharf and even a walk through the UCLA Campus. Like his son, he has a strong interest in American television shows like "Lost", "Prison Break" and "24". The trip to the Matsuyama bus station was a success as we made it in the nick of time. Unfortunately, my friend had forgotten his cell phone in his car.

A little past 12:50, we hopped on the bus to Okayama city. My friend listened to his Japanese jams while I listened to my own music on my i-pod. The ride was about 2 1/2 hrs in all. When we arrived, we had only food on our mind as we had barely eaten all day. Kyouhei took us to an awesome restaurant that served beer don bori. As we wolfed down our scrumptious meal my friend reflected upon his days in college. He's a graduate of Okayama University so this restaurant and others in the neighborhood triggered various moments of nostalgia. I suppose I'd do the same when I return to Westwood. Jack in a box (S. of Whilshire) , Subway, Noodle Planet, Diddy...

Eventually we made our way to ORIX, the car rental place. To our surprise the trip to Ochiai was about 1 1/2-2 hours away...much longer than anticipated. My friend had a disappointed look when was told the news but like a good person that he is, he was cool with it. He had a "nominokai" or drinking party with the homies. And so we set off for the last leg of the trip into the abyss- the Japanese forest aka Ochiai. As the buildings grew less and became darker, my friend joked about monsters in the woods. I joked about Tengu and Ijin (you remember them from Japanese History, eh Mark?). Instead of listening to radio jams we started to whistle Christmas sons in unison. Jingle bells, Jingle bells, Jingle all the way...When we arrived, my grandmother made both of us fish, tskemono and rice. My friend had to rush back but I grateful to have someone like him as a friend. I will be sure to get him a gift in Thailand. and I did.

12/29/09 Reunited

As the last entry was predominantly a log of all the events of the day, I thought this one should be more a stream of thoughts. While I slept a good 12 hours, the night was a restless one. I suppose one has great difficulty having a sound sleep in a new environment and last night was no exception. I tossed and turned as I dreamed about something exciting...I was either protecting something of great value or running away from something. Either way, I'm sure I had some sort of adventure. I was very cold throughout the night as I was reluctant to pack my winter clothes (since it's so warm in Thailand). Without a humidifier, it didn't seem wise to leave the stove on. Later that morning, my cousin and her kid came. We all, with my grandmother included, went to Tsuyama to shop for ingredients for dinner. It was an astonishing bunch. My grandmother, my cousin, my cousin's kid and myself. We're all different in age and live in different places but for this particular excursion we were together. Once my father comes, he can complete the four generations of family. Living by myself in Ikata you forget about family. Thanksgiving and Christmas passed by in a blink of an eye. I felt fortunate to be reunited with my family to celebrate New Years. There's no telling if this may be our last opportunity together under this roof but as my grandmother ages, it seems more like the case. I hope my mother is doing alright by herself in India...the holidays must be quite difficult for her. Best wishes. My last thought involves my trip to Kansai airport. With the rental car fiasco in my mind, I was worried about getting out to the airport. Fortunately, my cousin offered to drive me to the airport on her way back home (Osaka). Thus she saved me from needless stress this holiday break. It seems my omiyage (gift) list grows longer.

12/30/09 Four Generations
After 6 months, I am reunited with my father. He had flown 12 hours by plane the previous night and took the morning bus to Ochiai. As expected, he is fast asleep from jet lag. Today there was mixed feelings. After months of agonizing about the house back in S.F., it's finally gone. My parents reaped the benefits of the sale earlier this month. I have high hopes for my parents...things should get easier going forward. My mother is finally liberated from the house...freed from the financial shackles that kept her from doing what she truly wanted to do- meditate in India. My father seems to have done well for himself since I last saw him. He's certainly more cheerful and spirited. He constantly cracks jokes and seems to have rediscovered the joys of living. This is the side of my father I had missed. I suppose the burden of the house weighed heavy upon his shoulders and it undoubtedly affected his temper. He tells me he meditates now and enjoys interacting with people. He is reborn. It seems the loss of the house has resulted in my parents regaining a new sense of life...reinvigorated. Unfortunately, some things are gone for good. My father never was too big on Christmas, as least he never showed it. If fact, he always seemed to hate to celebrate anything. He always complained when we had to open presents, sing during birthdays, eat traditional Thanksgiving dinner together.However, our walk, he told me otherwise. I told him I missed spending Thanksgiving and Christmas with my parents. Surprisingly, he told me the holidays were a difficult time for him...he hoped the day would pass as fast as possible. I suppose my father DID care about Christmas...and now those moments as a family under one roof is but a mere memory. I can only imagine how painful it was for my mom...she epitomized the Christmas spirit in our household. She called me 3-4 times on Christmas.

Back to Ochiai. My father and I caught up by taking a walk around the neighborhood. We had matching leather jackets, white/gray hats and jeans. We were both rather shaggy. Recently, my grandmother noted that my father and I have very similar voices. I was very happy by this comment. I told him about my "5 year plan". He was very supportive. I asked him about his plans and it seemed a little more ambiguous. He wants to take another crack at the art promoter thing. He keeps saying he wants to do a project to help "the people", the community. He said he gave a speech in front of 100 artists. He seems to always have a dream. My conversation was going great until >>Omission<<. Conversation got weirder as we ran into his cousin on the road side. Apparently his cousin is suffering from a kidney disease. We went into their house to greet my father's uncle who has been bed ridden. All of this sounds normal but it was very awkward. I had felt a little disconnected from my father after the talk >>Omission<<. To top that off, my dad's cousin told me to take care and "try not to get killed". Try not to get killed? Is this guy serious??? Thrown back by this question, I asked him why he said that. He said a female foreign teacher got killed around the Ikata area. Why would anyone say that? I think about done with the Japanese countryside...the awkward conversations, the unfriendly stares, the cold shoulders...sick of it. There are good people, don't get me wrong but I grow weary of being a foreigner. The irony is I have no home in the U.S. but a home in small Ikata-cho, Japan.

Back to my father. I am glad he is doing alot better. He's a good person and it's great he's finding his way. I just can't help holding onto my old life in 419 Joost, my mom and dad together, even if they never got along. I suppose they have to find their own way. Oh, last point, I had a wonderful, long conversation with my cousin about many aspects of life. As we have aged, we have grown even closer...she is my sister and I eternally grateful.

On New Years day, I went to the temple with my father, cousin and her kid. I made alot of offerings for my grandfather and my mother. Afterwords, I bid farewell to my father and my grandmother. And so my cousin and I headed to Kansai airport, where I was to depart for Bangkok. Like the night before, my cousin and I had another memorable talk. Along the way, we picked up my aunt and we went to the airport. It was awesome having my family with me at the airport. I grew up with these people (my cousin and aunt) for the first 3 years of my life. Every year I came to visit them and everytime they went to the airport with me for a tearful goodbye. This time was no different, minus the tears, as we had a nice dinner, wasted time at the airport and bid farewell...only this time I wasn't going to the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment