Tomorrow I head back to Matsuyama for another week of Japanese class and chilling with JET people. The dynamics of the classroom are unique as we only speak Japanese...normally, back in the States, the instructor would use some English to aid us in our studies. While there are some English speakers in the class, there are many different people in the class: Australian, Belgian, Scottish, Canadian, Brazilian, Korean, Vietnamese and Argentinian. In fact, on the first day of class, I found myself seated next to a Portuguese speaker from Brazil and a Vietnamese lady. It was fascinating that I was forced to speak Japanese to get to know non Japanese people. I suppose this is how immigrants in America feel when they have to use English to communicate with so many different people. It's an interesting situation...two foreigners desperately trying to bridge the gap by formulating the most elementary sentences. While the language barrier is often frustrating, the struggle is often met with a "I know how you feel" look and nod. A sense of respect and connection is immediately formed through the mutual struggle. Though we are all from different countries and have varying professions (my Brazilian friend is a pro soccer player for the Ehime team), we all have the same goal: to survive the class so we can survive Japan. As for the Japanese people, when they see you trying your hardest to use their language, there is a sense of admiration and respect they have for your efforts. Wherever I go, the moment I use Japanese, I am met with only hospitable faces. I guess that's the power of language or the lack there of.
Outside my classroom, I am exposed to a plethora of cultures. In my apartment, I am rooming with 1 Irish, 2 Kiwis (New Zealanders) and 1 Hawaiian. It's been a fun bunch to hang out with as they're always smoking and drinking day or night. The crowded apartment reminds me of my short stay with several guys on the dragonboat team before I left for Japan. Shout out to Starcraft and Mario Bros. One night I went karaoking with a bunch of them and met a girl from South Africa and others scattered across the globe. Singing the night away to Notorious BIG "Big Poppa", "Billy Jean", "Bohemian Rhapsody", some Eminem and of course, Sir Mix Alot's "Big Butts." Good times. Another night I went to watch Harry Potter in theatres...better than the last time I went to see Harry Potter 8 years ago, where I refused to wear glasses because I did not want to look dorky around this girl. I don't remember too much of that movie. Harry Potter has gotten pretty old since my freshman year of high school.
Fun and games, learning Japanese, and watching movies, my trip to Matsuyama takes my mind off of things. You see, my family has been in the process of trying to sell my house due to financial reasons. My JET job has been a well timed blessing as it has allowed me to travel to another country, make some money and get my mind off of things. Since I'm abroad, I am almost protected by the thought of losing my home...I can create a fantasy that I am away from "home" and it'll be there when I come back...I'm just on vacation. But my mom's phone calls and the eerie discovery of my old house key are harsh reminders of reality. It pains me to think that I'll never use my house key ever again...it's absolutely useless. Everything has been cleared out of my house, all my things put in boxes and put into storage...only pictures and memories remain. I should feel fortunate as I was able to get out when I did, my poor mother is at ground 0, trying to figure out her next step. My father will move to a buddhist center but my mother is forced to stay in the States a little bit longer until the house if officially sold. Once she collects on her investment, she can finally move to India. Hard to believe, it has happened so fast that I cannot begin to process it as I sit here in my home in old Ikata-cho. I have a comfy bed, my laundry is strung all over the house and all my prized possessions are in a shoebox sized tuperwear bin. Dirty plates and clothes sprawled everywhere: yeah, this is my home. On the positive, I had my first paycheck a couple days ago...I can finally start saving money to pay off my pesky student loans. Or use it all for traveling purposes. Time will tell what I do. For now, I think I'll take a bath as the water is getting cold.
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting...sadness no more Joost...Guess we'll still have the nickname...haha...sounds like your having some very intriguing experiences, keep livin it up...improve that japanese power...
ReplyDeletethat's an interesting dynamic between you and the non-japanese JET-ers. i'm sorry to hear about your home situation. i truly hope everythings turns out well. in my limited experience, i found that it usually does -- i had to look carefully to find the positive.
ReplyDeleteMuch Love,
Henry
starcraftuuuuuuuu. Sounds tough Tenshing... But I'm sure things will turn out okay in the end... thats my childish narrowminded philosophy.
ReplyDeleteIt's great hearing your stories and do enjoy yourself.
yep, the condition of your place sounds like the same old TEN...sion (i request this as the official replacement of the Burger...KING statement)
ReplyDelete